The ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund Grant
Grant amount: Approximately US $50,000
Fields of work: Food Access & Hunger
Applicant type: For-Profit Business, Nonprofit
Funding uses: Project / Program
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United States
NOTE: While our National Open Call for Solutions is now closed, we are still interested in hearing about your work and will review any additional applications on a rolling basis.
In response to the impacts of COVID-19 on our food system – especially the increase in wasted food that could have gone to the growing number of people facing food insecurity – ReFED launched the ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund to quickly get funds to those organizations that are able to rapidly scale their impact. The Fund is distributing its first $1 million of grants to organizations that will - in the next 90 days - drive impact of more than a total of 10 million pounds of food waste prevented or 8.3 million meals rescued.
The solution aligns with at least one of the primary focus areas of the ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund:
- Prevention and recovery of fresh and healthy otherwise wasted food, especially at the farm level.
- Increase the preservation and rescue of food that would otherwise go to waste through new sales markets, donation outlets, or processing techniques.
- Elimination of logistical constraints along the entire food supply chain.
- Increase the coordination and distribution of otherwise wasted food on a more frequent basis and in ways that account for the requirements of particular food types and form factors – as well as leveraging idle, available capacity such as cold storage.
- Last-mile delivery — distributing direct to end recipients, especially vulnerable populations facing food insecurity.
- Increase the delivery of nutritionally-rich food to individuals in a convenient and dignified way.
Food Waste Impact
The solution can prevent and/or reduce a significant amount of food, especially healthy and nutritious products, from being wasted in the next 90 days (and hopefully beyond to increase resiliency of the food system long-term).
Extraordinary vision to drive reach and scale in a sustainable way.
The solution meets the growing and dire needs of populations most heavily impacted by COVID-19, including but not limited to certain geographic locations, the elderly, and workers in the agriculture, hospitality, and healthcare industries. way.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicant must be applying on behalf of one of the following:
- Social enterprise.
- Benefit corporation.
- For-profit company.
- Public-private partnership.
- 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- Fiscally sponsored project.
- Your solution must support the mission of The ReFED COVID-19 Food Waste Solutions Fund - helping prevent and/or rescue U.S. food waste by at least 250 tons of food or 417,000 meals in the next 90 days.
- The current annual revenue or budget of your organization must be approximately $500,000 or more.