AAUW Community Action Grants
American Association of University Women (AAUW)Suggest an update
Grant amount: US $2,000 - US $10,000
Deadline: Dec 1, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit Government Entity College / University Individuals
Funding uses: Project / Program, Education / Outreach
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Community Action Grant
Community Action Grants provide funds to individuals, AAUW branches, and AAUW state organizations as well as local community-based nonprofit organizations for innovative programs or non-degree research projects that promote education and equity for women and girls.
AAUW’s Community Action Grants provide funds that address issues related to the needs of women and girls or that provide information to educate and benefit the public on those issues.
One-year grants provide funding for community-based projects. Topic areas are unrestricted but should include a clearly defined activity that advances equity for women and girls.
- $2,000-$7,000 over one year.
Two-year grants provide start-up funds for new projects that address the particular needs of the community and develop girls’ sense of efficacy through leadership, advocacy, or training opportunities. Funds support planning activities, coalition building, implementation, and evaluation. The application is for one grant that covers a two-year period. AAUW expects that the project may evolve and change somewhat over the course of the grant period; however, second-year funding is contingent upon the successful completion of the first year of the grant. Two-year grants are not for existing projects.
- $5,000-$10,000 over two years.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must be individuals, AAUW branches, AAUW state organizations, or local community-based nonprofit organizations (including universities).
- Project directors must be the applicant and must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- The proposed activity must take place within the United States or its territories.
- Nonprofit organizations and universities must be based in the United States or its territories.
- Organizations (including universities) must have 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. AAUW branch and state applicants must have 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) tax-exempt status.
- The proposed activity must have direct community or public impact.
- Proposals from AAUW branches or states must be approved and signed by the branch or state president.
- Proposals from local community-based nonprofit organizations must be approved and signed by the organization’s executive director.
- Previous Community Action Grant awardees must wait three application cycles before applying for another grant.)
- Funds are available for, but not limited to, project-related expense categories, including
- Postage, mailing, shipping
- Photocopying, duplicating
- Office supplies
- Audiovisual materials
- Project-related telephone costs
- Professional fees or honoraria for speakers or special consultants
- Equipment purchases
- Meals, food, beverages, or lodging for camps or related activities
- Temporary, hourly clerical help
- Lease of facilities (does not include permanent office space)
- Advertising, publicity, graphic design
- Transportation (should be no more than one-third of grant request; $.545 per mile for auto expenses)
- AUW encourages proposals for projects that
- Use innovative approaches to address local community needs or build links among community partners
- Build partnerships between schools and community organizations
- Special consideration is given to
- Projects directed by or collaborating with AAUW branches and states
- Projects focused on K–14 (including two-year colleges) women and girls’ achievement in math, science, and/or technology
- Projects that include community partners (Community partners might include local schools or school districts, businesses, and other community-based organizations.)
- Community Action Grants are not available for the development of written work for academic credit or for research that will be used for a degree thesis or dissertation.
- Members of the AAUW Board of Directors, committees, panels, task forces, and staff, including current interns, are not eligible to apply for AAUW’s fellowships and grants.
- A person holding a current award is eligible for election or appointment to boards, committees, panels, and task forces.
- Funds are not available for the following:
- Salaries or stipends for project directors or permanent positions
- Higher education scholarships for students and participants
- Building funds, construction, or renovations
- Travel expenses for activities not within the scope of the project
- Overhead or general operating expenses for any organization or nonprofit organization
- Personal expenses, shelter, or life, medical, and health insurance
- Previous expenditures, deficits, or loans
- Creating or providing grants to other organizations
- Copyright or attorney fees
- Fundraising activities
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the AAUW Community Action Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.